I love, love, love thrifting. It is where I get the majority of my clothes because you know-broke college kid here. So, I thought I would share some of my thrifting tips with you all!
- Look at EVERY ITEM!
- I know this sounds tedious, but you can never truly make up your mind about an item if you don’t pull it off the rack and look at it. I have become an expert at going through the racks…which comes with much practice lol. I tend to block out an hour of my day when I go thrifting, so I can look through every item, this includes the men’s section too which, leads me to my next tip.
- Browse through the men’s section.
- I have found some of my favorite pieces in the men’s section. The men’s area tends to have the best t-shirts, sweaters, and jeans of all things! T-shirts are nice in the men’s section because you can pretty much look though every size. You can find true-to-size tees and baggier tees for lounging or to be made into crop tops. Sweaters are also a good find in the men’s because you can wear larger sweaters with leggings and boots in the Fall and Winter. Also, don’t skip past the jeans in the men’s. Mom jeans, my favorite style of jeans, are in abundance in the men’s because men generally have longer torsos (i.e. high waisted) and bigger legs (i.e. baggy, straight-legged style jeans).
- Look at EVERY SIZE!
- This tip sort-off goes along with looking through every item but I look at every size as well because clothing gets misplaced and dropped wherever.
- If you see potential, get it.
- One of my favorite hobbies I call a ‘thrift flip.’ This consists of taking something from the thrift store that has potential to be cute or even cuter and altering it a bit. One of my favorites is distressing jeans. I have bought countless jeans and added holes to them or patches or whatever I think of. If you see potential, buy it!
- Be on the lookout for basics.
- If you want cheap basics, go to the thrift store. You can get an abundance of them for SUPER cheap.
- Brand names are in abundance at the thrift store.
- Vintage Levi’s, Tommy Hilfiger, Eddie Bauer, Calvin Klein, etc. are in abundance at the thrift store. They are normally in good condition too for an UBER discounted price. I will never pay full price for any of those name brands that I know I can find at the thrift store ever again.
- Pay attention to colored tags.
- Before I go to the thrift store I look the store up online and look to see what sales are going on this day because at Goodwill the color of the tag corresponds with what is on sale. For example, if it is a red tag day then that item is discounted.
If anybody has any other insider secrets or tips PLEASE let me know! Whether that be through commenting on this post or contacting me on any of my socials (@taylerreneemay on Instagram and Twitter and Tayler May on Facebook).